Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Diet, New Trainer, New Motivation

In the words of Michael Buble "I'm feeling good"! ;-)




Almost two years ago (right after I got married), I signed up for a year's worth of personal training sessions (2x/wk) at my gym. The first trainer I assigned was a brut and like to pepper my training sessions with stories about the famous women he "knew". "Right, I'm sure Demi Moore couldn't keep her hands off of you dude!" Needless to day, I asked for a new trainer!



I enjoyed the next trainer and noticed a difference in my physique while working with him. However, he left the gym to start is his own business and I had yet another trainer. He was BORING! I'm sorry - I'm a woman, I work from home and the 1/2 hour I spend with you needs to be at least as interesting as Oprah, or I am going to jump on the treadmill and run nowhere while watching, "Keeping Up With the Kardashians." And, then I quit. I wasn't motivated to train with this guy and frankly - after Machu Picchu, I wasn't motivated to do much of anything!



About three weeks ago, I got yet another new trainer. In two years, I've only used two thirds of my sessions. I have enough left to go 3x/week for 4 months! :) Don't judge me! I LOVE this gal! I think part of what I love is that she is a woman - she can carry on a conversation. She can laugh (i.e., has a sense of humor). I've noticed her attention to how my body is built and what I can/cannot do is more thorough than any of the men I trained with. So, two weeks in and I feel great. I am already noticing a difference in my strength and a flatter tummy. My stomach is my trouble area. In all honesty, it is already flat - I just have a huge fear of the bulge - the muffin top, if you will!



I've also hit a few milestones-

*No gluten in 3 mos - This is the longest stretch since I met my husband

*No soda in over 2 weeks - This was hard. Especially b/c I work from home and often work late - I craved it. I have not even had it at a restaurant. It just goes to show how much of diet is habitual. At the movie theater, I almost broke my rule and ordered a diet coke. My friend reminded me - I wasn't even thinking. I was just ordering.



I find I have motivation to do things that I was not doing but wanted to do. I am cleaning more regularly and maintaining things to my level. (Note - this is not a normal level for most people). It feels good. There is nothing better to me than a clean house.



Also, and most notably, I am heading into a very exciting new chapter of my life. I am going back to school. For years, my closest friends have told me I should be a marriage and family counselor. I knew it was my "calling", but I've been fighting it. I said, "When I am done having kids and they are in school, I'll do it." Or, "I can be used without those letters behind my name." In honesty, I think fear was my greatest motivation. What if I fail? What if people think I'm making a dumb move? I've already spent an enormous amount on education (over double my annual salary)...Do I really want to invest more money into my education?!?!



Well, I heard that still, small, clear voice this week, "What are you waiting for? Just do it!" Okay, I get it!!! I have the greatest friends! When I told them, they unanimously said, "It's about time. Finally, you are accepting your calling." Why do we wait so long to fulfill our dreams/calling?



All in all, the year of 30 is treating me well. I am proud of myself for making the changes in diet, exercise and focus that I have made. I am excited about the fruit that will be borne out of the changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment