Monday, February 25, 2013

Gluten Free Mushroom and Beef Cream Sauce (for Pasta/Rice)

So, growing up my mom used to toss a can of cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's), 1c. milk and 1lb of ground beef in the pan with some pasta and call it "Beef Stroganoff". Technically, I don't think this meets the definition and while it was great on our very low budget, it is not healthy nor is it gluten free.

However, I have been craving it, so I did a little experimental cooking today. Here's what I used:

1 lb Stew Cut beef
2-3 c. chopped (large) mushrooms*
1 lg finely diced scallion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 bullion cube (veggie)
1 c. water
4 oz heavy cream**
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp corn starch

In a crock pot I tossed my bullion cube, scallion, garlic, salt and pepper, chopped mushrooms and beef. I let this cook 4-5 hours until beef was very tender (my beef was frozen).

Removed the beef chunks and placed mushroom and broth mixture in heavy bottomed sauce pan. Set aside 1/4. of broth to which I added the cornstarch and whisked until incorporated. Then I added the heavy cream.

To the sauce pan I added butter followed by cream/cornstarch mixture. I brought this to a low simmer while I chopped the stew meat into smaller chunks (similar to mushroom size). Return the beef to the sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes. You'll want to let it cool so it will thicken before serving.

I served the sauce with shell quinoa pasta. However, it would be good with any pasta/rice.

Next time I do it, I will add veggies. It is a rich sauce and needed something to break it up a bit - perhaps peas. :)

Also, topping with freshly grated parm would just make it extra magnificent!! :-)

*I used cremini, however, I think it would be good to use a combo of different kinds of mushrooms. Perhaps if you wanted to skip the meat you could add portobellos for some heavier mushrooms.

**I would rather have used creme fraische, but was trying to do it cheaply and avoid Whole Foods or AJs. Why American grocers don't sell creme fraische in the regular store I will never understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment