Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cranberry-Applesauce

It's that time of year when I get a little nutty about traditional foods. I'll be posting some of my staple Thanksgiving dishes.

Regarding your choice of apple, I prefer Galas for my pies and sauces. I realize this is a non-traditional choice and not what you would expect to hear. Most will tell you a mix of Granny Smith and Fuji are good for pies and something like a Braeburn for sauce. However, my position can be supported. I don't like to use a lot of sugar - namely because I like to taste the fruit. Hence, my choice of a sweeter apple means less sweetener.  Also, because the Gala is softer, you will not need to "mush" the apples. I do like small apple chunks, so I don't run it through a sieve.

Yields approx 8 / 8oz jars
5lbs Apples
1-2lbs Cranberries
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon

Peel apples with vegetable peeler. Remove core (use whatever method you prefer), cut into 8ths and then slice sections into thirds or fourths. You should end up with small 1/2" to 1/4" triangular pieces of apple. Add apple pieces to pot and about 1/2" of water to cover the bottom of the pot cover with lid. Allow to cook slowly over medium to medium-high heat. It should bubble, but not boil - you're looking for a simmer.

Cook for approx 1 hour. Your apples should be pretty soft at this point and easily mashed with a fork.

Add cranberries, sugar and cinnamon. Bring back to simmer and allow to cook until cranberries "pop". You may actually hear this as they burst and release their juices and seeds! (I think this is the exciting part!!)

Simmer for about 20-25 min on med-low heat.

You can can or serve warm. We use this in lieu of plain cranberry-sauce. It is also a very nice accompaniment to pork dishes.

If you like a sweeter sauce add more sugar to taste while sauce is simmering. Be very careful when taste-testing the hot sauce. Hot boiling fruit holds its temperature quite well. Also, if you like a less "chunky" sauce, use a potato masher to mash to the desired consistency. I would highly recommend not making something that resembles store bought apple sauce. If you do that - don't tell anyone you got the recipe from me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment