Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Week 3

Yesterday began the most difficult part of this process - FOOD!

I am cutting out the following completely (some for only a two week cleansing period):
  • Refined white sugar
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • Starch (potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, GF breads/bread mixes, cereals, etc...)
  • Corn (breads, corn/rice cakes, grits, etc...)
  • Fruit (I will add this back in) - The only exception is tomatoes
  • Soda
  • Caffeine (1 cup of Joe per day)
  • Red meat
  • Pork (Again, I will add this back in)

Needless to say, this would be difficult enough if I hadn't already had a cold. The first day SUCKED! Things I can eat are vegetables, fish, water, peanut/almond butter, and cheese (THANK GOD!).

What is the point? It really isn't a weight loss goal - it is about cleansing my system. Sugars increase your insulin levels and make you more hungry and increase your cravings. If I can get rid of them for a few weeks, I will not have the same cravings (supposedly)! :) I would be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me hoping that weight loss will accompany the healthier lifestyle. I do! But, I also don't want that to be my focus.

One note about dietary substitutions. Things like "fat free buttered flavored..." or " Sugar free sweetener". I have one word - YUCK! Those things aren't food. If your great-grandmother would not have recognized it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body. If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't eat it! I probably have a more European approach toward fat and sweets. I realized something when I lived in Austria. You can't find "no fat milk". The idea is an anathema to them. They put heavy cream in their coffee (not non-dairy no fat creamer). They eat freshly baked goodies topped with cream. The difference is the amount. They don't add 4 cups of sugar to their freshly whipped heavy cream. They don't drink a gallon of sweetened/creamed coffee a day. The truth be told, most people are a healthy weight. You don't see the huge chasm between the ultra thin and the obese. Most people fit into one of those categories in the US. There are very few average/healthy looking people. This is the whole premise of the "French Woman's Diet" and "Why French Woman Are Skinny". They eat well. They eat whole fat, drink wine and enjoy their meals. However, they exercise and they don't eat three helpings worth of food at each sitting! So - throw away your chemicals and reduce your intake of real FOOD! :)

Stepping off of the soapbox for today and returning to my original purpose. In two weeks, I will add fruit and pork back into my diet. I can't wait - I miss my blueberries in my yogurt! I am still going strong with my greens, which must be mixed with water instead of juice.

Christmas weight came off in 6 days, once I was back home, moving and not tempted by all of the Christmas GOODIES! :)

Still hoping that 30 will be the year I am stronger, healthier and more satisfied with my physique!

No comments:

Post a Comment